Sunday, November 21, 2010

November 21, 2010 - not quite 26kms...at least I didn't break anything!

First off, I hate hills!!! So much so, I avoid them like the plague. Anyone who has run with me knows this. But what is with this city???? every where I go there are freaking hills. My hamstrings don't just talk back after a run, they scream at me!

So today's run, well where to start. Today was my first long run on my own. I got up, got ready and Rob and the girls dropped me off at my starting point, which is a running store in Raleigh. What's weird is that they weren't open at 9am? I miss the Running Room for that b/c I couldn't find my gels this morning while getting ready and so I wanted to buy some before I took off. At least the Whole Foods next store had some. They only had the mocha with caffeine, so I had to use them sparingly. Hate to have an allergic reaction out on a run. All was good and off I went!

View from the path:
Well I was feeling pretty good, no issues at first. I got to the Museum of Art and went right instread of left on the path and got a little turned around but before I freaked out too much I remembered I had my phone. I did a little "where's me???" and found the route again. The path was gorgeous, took some pics again. Passed a horse farm and finally found Umstead park. OMG hills and more hills. Rob and the girls met up with me at around 13km to refuel me. Got some more water and gels and a couple "GO MOMMY GO" from Abby and Rowan and off I went again. The run was an out and back. As I got back to the Museum of Art I was feeling pretty good. I was at 20km when I stepped on a pebble and went "ass over tea cup" as my mother would say. If it was anyone else, they'd have broken their ankle. Mine just rolled and with a couple nasty scraped hands, I picked myself up, dusted myself off and ever so gingerly continued on my way. Next up, about 2kms further, I almost got run over by a bike. A kid about 10 wasn't paying attention and thank god his father was paying attention and stopped him before he rode right into me. Keep going and with a little side step to make the 25km I got back to the running store to meet my cheering squad! Feeling great and accomplised...right up until I realized my cell phone was missing. Rob kept his wits about him, since mine were toast, called my cell and the wonderful person who found my phone told us where we could pick it up. It had a couple scratches from the fall from my holster but that was about it.

The worst part of a run, for those who have run these distances, is the after. I mean, the shower is truly an experience with the game "where's the chaffing???" Always exciting!!! It's now an hour or so after my shower and my ankle is a bit sore and a little more flexible than it should be and my hands have fantastic bruises but all in all, a very exciting run.

It may not have been 26km as planned, but I'll take it!!!

The Music:
51 songs total, so I'll just hit a couple of the highlights
Viva La Vida - Coldplay
Long Forgotten Sons - Rise Against
I Gotta Feeling - Black Eyed Peas
oh, The Boss is coming - Arkells
O...Saya - A.R. Rahman
Take Me Out - Franz Ferdinand
Wake Me Up Before you Go Go - Wham!
Rock DJ - Robbie Williams
Hearing Damage - Thom Yorke
Uprising - Muse
The Catalyst - Linkin Park
Teenage Dream - Glee - loved it, so played it twice!
Speechless - Lady GaGa
Ulysses - Franz Ferdinand
Bleed it Out - Linkin Park
Pullin Punches - Arkells
Only Girl - Rihanna
Bad Romance - Glee
and my favourite because of the run itself...Long Road to Ruin - The Foo Fighters (makes me laugh now!!!)

Next week - 18km, it's a taper week!!!







they have these grooving paintings along the route!


through the Museum of Art






Reedy Creek Trail in Umstead Park








A couple of Spectators!



No comments:

Post a Comment